aiskrempotong-ism

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

WHAT'S GOING ON INSIDE AISKREMPOTONG'S HEAD?

those of you who know me personally will know that i've been struggling with a tough decision this past month. you see, i have received a job offer from a company back home. it was a company which i have always been interested in joining. not because of the remuneration, but because of what the company does. and also what i can do potentially in my position to help what the company does. it feels like with this job, i can finally use my skills and knowledge to contribute to the society. to my ummah. it was more like a dream JOB to me.

but, ironically (my life is full of ironies) this is also the time when my evil boss here decided to give me a big fat increment. it was like a dream SALARY to me :P. so needless to say, i was torn.

i have not been happy staying here. in the past year, there were times when i was feeling so down that i hit a new low. lack of friends, housemate from hell, sucky boss, a few online 'relationships' which gone bad - nottttt a pretty year for me. but from the outside, everyone thinks that it has been a great year. good salary, working overseas, losing weight. i was determined to go back after getting my bonus. so that's why i set on looking for a job. and lucky for me (OR unlucky for me), i landed on my dream job.

hence, the big, jumbo-sized dilemma. almost everyone i know told me that i should stay. this opportunity may not come by again (which i have to admit, is true. being a local graduate with no professional qualification, what i have know is really ..err.. "very neat"). however, being someone who has always made the "less popular" decisions thoughout his life, i didn't want to listen to what they say. i think i know myself best. and what is best for me. the best for my career. and i deserve happiness. at least i'll be happier in kl than here. so i told everyone that i was adamant about leaving. my dad was crushed. my brothers and sisters ask me to re-think about it. my friends said that i was crazy. and when i told my boss about my decision, he had me sit for 90 minutes because he couldn't believe that i made that decision (i told him a day after i got my increment).

however, slowly and slowly,due to tremendous pressure from everyone asking me to reconsider, i started to think differently. perhaps my future employer can give me another opportunity in the future. even if that fails, maybe there will be other companies in the same industry (although not many) who might want to take me in later. since i'm hoping to build up my ssavings this year, i could probably offer myself at a lower rate just for me to get into the industry. and maybe this year will not be as sucky as last year. i'm getting my own apartment this year - a cute 1 bedroom apartment just for myself. and boss will be hiring new people to replace the 3 who has left. he should have learned his lesson not to hire another "housemate". so i hope that he will find some competent, nice, cute plu to work with me (i'm kidding i'm kidding...competent and nice is good enough for me). plus, it will look more impressive on my resume if i clock two years here instead of one. and personally, i do want to stay in this country a little bit longer because i want to visit places around this region before i go back. and as long as i promise myself not to get into another virtual relationship, i should be fine - NO HEARTBREAK in 2007.. woohoo!!! :P

so, in the end, i have decided to slug it out for another year here. and i will try to love this country this year. it's been a year but i don't think i know enough about this country. so i will try to know more about the country. instead of reading m'sian online newspaper everyday, i will subscribe to the local newspaper now (that way i will know when and where the sale is going on :P). i will blog more often. i will buy a treadmill and work it! :P. and i will try to live more stress-free and stop doing things that stress me. like shaving. or ironing. or cleaning my bathroom. from now on, i'm going to outsource those services. why? because i'm worth it! hahahah...

tomorrow, i will call the company in m'sia to inform them that i am declining the offer. i relly hope that they won't be pissed at me and will still consider me in the future (if only i could bribee them with something.. heheheh *evil thought). if they are, that would be the best. i would be able to get the best of both worlds eventually. but if they are not receptive to that, i guess i'll just have to let go of this dream job of mine. why? because this is what the people around me want. because of the money. because they want me to live their dream. i mean, this is partly my dream too. but i have another dream which i think is more noble (which is the job back in m'sia), and not as materialistic as this dream. yep, truth be told, i'm not really that proud of myself right now. it feels like i have lost a battle. i just hope that god will help me find a way to redeem myself later.

one thing i'm starting to realise is that maybe it's not so good to plan everything in advance. to think so much of the future. because life can just throw something at you that will tip the balance of your decision and your plan which will eventually cause things to be more complicated and makes the decision making process harder. just like what happens to me. if i wasn't such a planner, i wouldn't have gotten my friend to get me an interview when i was back home for just a week last hari raya haji. and wouldn't have prepared so well for it that i nailed it. and i wouldn't have gotten the offer which is now really the cause of my big headache. if there was no offer, there was really no decision to be made. i would have just stayed on for another year. but nooooooooo .... i just HAD to plan *grunts*

anyway, i appreciate you guys leaving your comments if you wish to do so (i do need all the kata2 perangsang that i could get :P), but if your comment is about how my decision is the wrong decision and how i should follow my dream and not others, please refrain from doing so. it's not that because i don't want to listen to your opinion, but because it would be too late. and believe me, i've been thinking about this for soooo long and sooooo hard. it feels like i have thought about everything there IS to be thought about in this matter. sampai demam2 (i'm not kidding). i'm just so bloody tired to think about this anymore. i'm just going into my second year in this country head on.

bring it on !!!!

10 Comments:

  • Glad to read that you've reached a decision, friend. Be fully responsible for it, and more importantly OWN UP to that decision. It's your life so only you can decide what to do with it ok?

    All the best, and perhaps,perhaps, perhaps I can drop by Dubai sometime later this year ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 14, 2007 6:02 AM  

  • aiskrem,

    whatever your decision would be, pick THE ONE that makes you happy. opportunities come and go. that's rezeki. but you can't buy happiness with it. even if you bring home a million punds monthly.

    all the best! :)

    By Blogger ZEYN, THE PERPETUAL STRANGER, at February 14, 2007 8:06 AM  

  • The best part of the whole issue is in my opinion the fact that you have realised certain things about urself.... yup dude.... the living a stress free life n also not planning every moment will work wonders for you.... trust me.... happiness lies in ur own hands.... not a location!! ... cheers..RICK

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 14, 2007 9:36 AM  

  • erm..bro,

    as wat i said yesterday, i support all ur decisions. if u need anything, i'll be here for u..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 14, 2007 11:09 AM  

  • yea!
    i got place to stay in dubai.....
    am coming for visit hhehehhehe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 14, 2007 12:21 PM  

  • 1) the guy has a point.. hapiness is not in the place
    2) same also as above.. own up to your decision..

    its true babe.. sometimes all you need to do is decide and go with it. too much thinking is bad for u hehehehhe

    but on another point 2 years is better than 1 but you better BE DAMN SERIOUS ABOUT HAVING FUN..

    what u think having fun is play play only ka? hahahha

    By Blogger bRed, at February 14, 2007 12:36 PM  

  • apa2 pun, i will be there next week!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 14, 2007 12:43 PM  

  • at last... you finally firmed with ur decision... great!!!

    saving and also travelling at the same time, mcm contradict ajer... btw, i'll help u out on travelling part (and saving too, just pass the money to me). insyaAllah we can go travel this year Egypt? Iran? Jordan?

    :-)

    By Blogger zal, at February 14, 2007 12:44 PM  

  • zal,

    i wanna go to Jordan...and Turkey. last pergi Turkey masa Form 3!

    By Blogger ZEYN, THE PERPETUAL STRANGER, at February 14, 2007 12:50 PM  

  • silentreader:
    thanks fren. i'll try and remember that :)

    meh la dtg dubai.... you boleh shopping kain and tudung.. sure you pengsan punya! :P

    zeyn, the cute aristrocrat:
    thanks dear.. all the best to u too.

    rick:
    you are right. and the worse thing is i used to pride myself for being such a planner. i guess in some areas, we just need to loosen up a little. i just need to know which areas :)

    let's make uae a "happy" place, shall we? jom carik jantan kat jumeirah beach! (kidding... kidding.. :P)

    ivan_endi:
    thanks bro! really appreciate it.. :)

    shima:
    meh la dtg.. boleh i pesan mee goreng indomee and milo 3-in-1 ..hahahah

    husz:
    heheheh... macam tak betul je nasihat ni? u nak i jadi setan kaaa..? wahahahah


    mt:
    err... cam keluar topik je ni..:P anyway, welcome in advance. let's have some good clean fun ok ? hihihih


    zal (siapa ni? *puzzled look* :P):
    there should be enough for some travelling and some saving... kata budget traveller kan :P

    AT LEAST we should go to oman and egypt ok? oh and the uk. oh and turkey. oh and lebanon. and i heard morocco is lovely. *matilaaa

    By Blogger aiskrem_potong, at February 15, 2007 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home