aiskrempotong-ism

Thursday, October 27, 2005

IT'S NOT RIGHT!

came across this article while doing my morning routine of online newspaper-surfing:


Alor Star, Kedah - Wed

More than 1,000 applicants, some with diplomas and degrees, turned up at the Pos Malaysia (Kedah/Perlis) headquarters today to apply for 100 vacancies as postmen.
But the graduates preferred to play down their true academic status, for fear of being rejected for being "over-qualified".

The job only requires a Sijil Rendah Pelajaran or Penilaian Menengah Rendah qualification but many who were interviewed said they were desperate for work.

A 25-year-old applicant with an IT degree from Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) said he was currently working as a general assistant on a RM500 monthly salary.

"I heard they don’t want graduates which I think is wrong," he said.

"They are discriminating against us when they should be looking at getting the best who are enthusiastic and smart for the job.

"I am not choosy about work but my present job does not offer job security while the postman job pays RM700 and is more secure. I just hope I will get it as I am getting married next year."

Another applicant, with a degree in Human Resource from Universiti Malaya, said he had been jobless since graduating two years ago.

"I applied everywhere, even for a shop or supermarket assistant, but was rejected because I am over-qualified. I can’t be living off my parents any more."

Pos Malaysia mail operations chief Mansor Mahazan said the interviews would be conducted today and tomorrow to fill vacancies in Kedah and Perlis following its voluntary separation scheme.

"We are looking for SRP or PMR holders with a motorcycle licence and preferably their own motorbikes."

Many applicants came to the headquarters in Jalan Stadium as early as 6.30am to be in time for the interviews at 8am.

my first reaction after reading the article was.. how can this happen? what is going on? but then i started to ponder.. is this a true reflection of what is going on.. or is it just an isolated case? but nonetheless, i don't think it should be happening at all.

how can a decent (ok, first assumption: decent) graduate from a decent local university be HOPING to get a job as a postman. ok wait before i go on futher, i should state here that i am not saying that being a postman is not a decent job. it's a noble job and someone has to do it. but we should always match our job with our abilities - or else it would be just a waste of resources. a waste of the parent's resources and a waste of the government's resources.

but of course, as the saying goes - berat mata memandang, berat lagi bahu memikul. i was unemployed for 1 and a half months before i took on my first job and it was already hell for me. for this guy to be unemployed for 2 years - it must be a much worse hell for him. he must be really exasperated for a job that he went for the postman interview.

what saddens me most is that i can almost guarantee that the 2 gentlemen being interviewed are malays (ok another disclaimer: i'm not a racist, i just care about my race. i'm just trying to point out what is wrong with my race without condemning the other races. so please don't put me in jail for this)

something needs to be done la.. if i can guess the root causes of the problem it would be:
1.they are very choosy about the companies that they apply to(restricting themselves to just government bodies)
2.they may not have very flattering CGPA's or extracurricular activities in their resume
3.they don't quite know how to strategise when they prepare their resume
4.they may get calls to attend interview but were not successful (largely due to kack of communication skills)
5.they are probably among the most unlucky souls living on this planet

i think Jabatan Pembangunan Sumber Manusia should look more closely at this problem. paying them RM500 a month to attend training on English or IT can only help them so much. they should focus about getting these ppl a job first.. those skills can be acquired over time (i don't think your english skills can improve tremendously after taking a 3-month course anyway) the focus should be in helping these people to become successful interview candidates. ajarla mcm mana nak prepare resume, mcm mana nak buat cover letter yg gempak, mcm mana nak prepare for interviews, self-grooming sikit-sikit. it's all about strategy - your preparation should match and be customised according to the job that you are applying for.

now why do i keep on babbling about this? because i CARE. full stop.

7 Comments:

  • Hi Aiskrem, you know where I came from :)

    On this entry of yours, I have to agree with what you think as the root causes. Tapi I rasa its okay with what the Jabatan is doing now. Employers sekarang pun choosy, they want people with good soft skills - and not many are interested to train those who lack the skills, on the job. So these grads need to fend for themselves. Easier said than done, but I think the govt is doing the best they can.

    On what transpired in sizz's tagboard...

    I don't have to make myself sexually attracted to men,dear, I am a man's natural life partner, if you get my meaning. Perhaps that makes you look at me differently, but to be honest, I want to understand. Because it's the biggest irony that the ideal man in a woman's dream almost always turns out to be not approachable or available (read: married or gay).

    I mean, what gives?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 27, 2005 5:38 PM  

  • excerpt from ur blog--->I think the reason i feel that way is mostly because i don’t share the same common interests that they share. i’m not interested in cars, i don’t watch football, i’m lousy at fixing things and i can’t assemble DIY furniture that i buy from carrefour by myself (seriously, i don’t think i’ll make a good husband). that’s why i find it hard to make friends with other guys.

    OMIGOD!! this is so me!!, btw i am a cancerian - crashb0ombang

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 28, 2005 4:49 AM  

  • hi silentreader.. thx for stopping by :)

    on the unemployment issue - i just think that the effort should be concentrated on how to be successful in interviews.. given the limited time that they have. yes soft skills are important, by the module should first and foremost stress on the softskills during interviews. there are some areas that can be taught later. first impression counts. teach them how to nail the interviews first. i know of friends who i think have good brains and decent qualifications but had no luck in interviews. these guys have substance, but they were just not reflected during the interview. this is what they need to learn.

    on the OTHER issue :) - you're a girl?!! heheh.. somehow i think that explains your curiosity. but what is it that u need to understand - why PLUs are PLUs or why the a lot of these 'ideal men' that you refer to are PLUs? let me know ok..

    and to crashb0ombang.. thx for stopping by too.. it's comforting to know that at least someone feels the same way that i do.. :)

    By Blogger aiskrem_potong, at October 28, 2005 7:09 AM  

  • Glad you pick up very fast, aiskrem. A big, overaged girl, I am - maybe a young lady would be a better term ;)

    And maybe I need to understand both. heh. Not that I have PLU friends (that I know of) in real life..but I read PLU blogs, and I believe that your blog represents a big chunk of you, even if not in totality.

    So, let me know... why PLUs are PLUs, first and foremost. The second one, it's entirely an assumption based on observations and experiences of other people..I myself haven't had the experience of finding out that someone I like is actually gay! Or married, for that matter. About to be married ada la . Hahaha, but I digress.

    Looking forward to reading your response! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 28, 2005 9:27 AM  

  • I on the other hands think that there's nothing wrong with being a postman, even if you are so-called overqualified. if someone is happy doing a low paying job and doesn't mind it, then why not.

    and yes, interview skill is essential, which sadly, is lacking in lots of local grads. and the ability to speak english is muito importante.i have comes across local grads who can't speak english to save their lives.what a pity.all those skills and yet not being able to articulate it, it's just like being mute.

    btw, before someone starting hurling insults at me, i'm a local grad as well ok, so i know what i'm talking abt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 28, 2005 10:01 AM  

  • hi silentreader, do u jot ur daily rants in a blog as well? If u do, can u please let me read it, i like ur writings and the way u express ur views...

    and u too bro, i like the way u write..keep on blogging..will always check ur page..
    -crashb0ombang

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 28, 2005 2:28 PM  

  • yeah silentreader.. would love to read your blog if you have one. anyway, i've posted the reply to your questions in my blog entry :) sambil menyelam minum air.. (drink water while snorkelling.. eheh)

    and crash, thanks for compliment. i personally think that i write rubbish most of the time.. :). do u have a blog too?

    and asmadi - i guess it's perfectly fine to become a postman if a guy is happy doing it. but what are the chances of him being happy working as a postman when his other former uni mates are working in big conglomerates with jobs that doesn't require them to ride a bike in the hot scorshing sun half of the time? i don't know la... maybe it's just me.
    btw, u r a local grad? must have been hard for you to find friends to share yr thought with.. am i right? just guessing..

    By Blogger aiskrem_potong, at October 29, 2005 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home