aiskrempotong-ism

Thursday, January 05, 2006

STARTING THE NEW YEAR WITH A’BANG’

i don’t usually go out to celebrate new years. it’s just too much hassle. all the crowd, the traffic, being one tiny person in a sea of people – it just makes me feel regular, a commoner. and that’s just not me (heheh). plus , i don't really enjoy watching fireworks. i mean, i WOULD enjoy them for the first, like, 10 seconds. after that, i’d only be thinking about how wasteful it is to spend thousands of dollars on something that gives you very little benefit. i’d normally spend the new year’s eve in front of the tv watching the new year’s special either on TV3, NTV7 or (yes) RTM with either my family or friends.

so last new year’s eve, i was planning to usher in the new year with my normal routine until a friend e-mailed an invitation to a makan-makan at her place in pantai hillpark on new year’s eve. thinking that i don’t really have much time left to spend with my friends before i leave, i decided to go (normally i wouldn’t have because there were a few people who i don’t really like whom i knew were going to be there). surprisingly, i had a nice time. the food was great (her green curry chicken was yummylicious!), and the crowd was ok. managed to catch up with a few guy friends whom i have not seen in a while (while ignoring a few others who were definitely worth my time). but the party kinda ended early because the guys had to leave for futsal. i had to leave as well cos i didn’t want to be the only guy left at my friend’s place (yup, not really secured with my manhood am i? it's hard to do so when you are a PLU). so i left my friend’s house at 11.45 feeling clueless as to what am i supposed to do when the clock strikes 12. i thought of driving back home but the thought of being alone in my car driving on the federal highway when the rest of the population celebrates in jubilation just seem too pathetic and sad. but i was dumbfounded. “habis tu.. nak buat apa nih?” being left with no choice, i started my engine and started to drive back to subang. and what i imagined earlier came true. i WAS still on federal highway when the clock in my car showed 12:00 (while listening to this fly.fm deejay scream “happy new year” with unjustifiable zest – urgh). well at least i got to know which song is no. 1 in 2005 (btw it’s ms. clarkson’s beyond these hazel eyes – at least according to fly.fm). but still, it was quite a pathetic way to celebrate the new year (even by MY standard)

but 5 minutes after reaching home, someone called. it was the same someone who changed my perception of that cheesy willie nelson song. he invited me to come over to his place. and i accepted the offer. and my initial sad and pathetic start to 2006 made a 180-degree turn. suffice to say that new year’s eve 2006 will always be something that i would never forget. and THAT is starting the new year with a bang! ;P

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home