aiskrempotong-ism

Friday, November 03, 2006

(RE)VISITING FRIENDS

at first, i thought d*bai is a better shopping place than kl but only when it comes to designer stuff. but the other day, when i got the whole 10 seasons of friends dvd for rm110, it kinda changed my opinion. dubai is really a better shopping place than kl for everything! (well, maybe except for plastic items and tissue papers which are unbelievably expensive!). so right now, i've been watching less tv.

i was a HUGE fan of friends. although the show started showing in 1995 (i think), i only started watching the show in 1998 (i was in boarding school. we couldn't watch tv during night time). apart from it being a very funny show, i think the main reason why i liked friends so much was because of matthew perry. he was sooo cute (especially in the first and second season. got me smitten in an instant .. heheh). i was so hooked up on the show/him that when i was back in uni, i would use my monthly allowance to buy the original videotapes/vcd's. a cd with 4 episodes would cost rm30 bucks and i would try and get them from jusco instead of speedy because i could use my jcard to collect points (eheh). so, everymonth, i would put aside 60 bucks from my allowance to buy the cd's. and i would watch them over and over again like a maniac. i usually tapau my lunch and dinners and i would eat my meal in front of my computer while watching the vcd's. i would ask my friends and family members to get me friends vcd's for my birthday, indicating to them which episodes that i stll didn't have.

but my interest in friends died down after the 7th season. i guess i grew out of it. mostly because matthew perry started to look older and less.. err.. appetising (:P). and phoebe got meaner and meaner. the show became a but less funny. all this, coupled with the fact that the tv was showing the show on (almost) daily basis made me decide to stop buying the original vcd's. i stopped after the 7th season. all my videotapes and vcds are now in my bedroom back in ipoh in a special 'shrine' (actually it's just a bookcase :P), a testament of how merepek my pre-adolescent life was. but at that time, spending rm rm180 for a season of friends (when you are not even earning) didn't seem merepek at all (well how was i to know that a few years later i would be able to get all 10 seasons at 110 bucks!!)

speaking of friends, i'm going to have a few friends visiting me this weekend. 3 of them altogether. one is my standard one classmate who i always had this love-hate relationship with (let's call him W). the other one is my ex-schoolmate when i was in boarding school (a girl, we'll call her M). the third, is B, M's husband who happens to be my ex-coursemate in uni (who, btw is one of my least favourite people in the world. gosh, i do seem to have a dislike over quite a few people don't i? what can i say - i have high expectations of my friends..heheheh)

i wish i could write a bit more about them but i'm too sleepy. i need to wake up at 5 in the morning to pick them up (it's already 1.25 am now). anyway, let's just say that i have my concerns about them visiting me. the two guys have always liked to gang up on me (that's what heterosexuals do apparently) and kutuk2 me. i have been more tolerant of this in the past (maybe because i was a lot more patient then). but after staying here for 9 months, think i have changed a little. i'm more snappy now. seriously. and i'm afraid if they pull off one of their antics, i would lose it. and i would lose it bad. i don't want that to happen especially not when they are my guests. but i'm not sure if they know how to be a good guest...

10 Comments:

  • aiskrem,

    sabar...sabar...

    By Blogger ZEYN, THE PERPETUAL STRANGER, at November 03, 2006 9:15 AM  

  • oh, i so lurve Friends too!

    By Blogger ZEYN, THE PERPETUAL STRANGER, at November 03, 2006 9:16 AM  

  • whole ten seasons for RM110? freaking cheap siot!! kat Sg Wang baru je ade stock baru..season 8 missing from collection...
    to me..season 6 is the best!! my all time fav? yg episode salmond skin roll..hahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 03, 2006 9:50 AM  

  • Complete 10 seasons for Rm 110, serious? Guess, I need to get there to buy all my fav tv dramas one day.

    By Blogger wyler, at November 03, 2006 4:04 PM  

  • do they have QAF as well?? can u get them for me?? :)

    bawak next month yer..

    By Blogger zali, at November 05, 2006 9:10 PM  

  • i was a fan of friends as well at some point, but lack of time to watch the telly made me missed lots of the episodes and after that i just couldn't be bothered.

    and zali, i don't think they would have QAF over there. arab country and gay series? i don't think so (love QAF as well!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 06, 2006 5:17 AM  

  • I lost interest in watching Friends and fell in love with Sex and the City, Six Feet Under (lots of gay themes in it), Alias and LOST..... I say more variety and more characters to analyse!!

    Okay over to your so called friends!! If I were you, I would just ask them to take the cab and meet you at home. To arrive at 5 am is crazy and to expect you to pick them up is unacceptable. I would not even do that to my friends!!

    Now for them being bullies - well it's time to show who is boss and you can afford to do this.... the world is your oyster and there are plenty more "bodies" to make friends..... hehehehe

    By Blogger Maximus Leo, at November 07, 2006 6:26 PM  

  • Snappy? Oooh!

    Suggest you get more dvds to watch while you're out there in dubai :)

    By Blogger savante, at November 08, 2006 9:23 AM  

  • Hey aiskrem! Almost blurted out your name! Lucky I caught myself. Hehe!

    I think I've been unconsciously seeking those tv series, movies with underlying gay themes. I'm currently getting my fix of Will and Grace. Made me wish I have a fag hag. Damn!!

    Oh, what would I do w/o my broadband!!!! ;p

    By Blogger akihisa, at November 15, 2006 12:08 PM  

  • shah:
    thanks... :P


    aeroplanemaniac:
    thanks for dropping by! yeah it's unbelievably cheap here. but i should tell u that it does not come in those nice boxes. so maybe that's one of the reasons why there are so cheap. hey i like that episode too!

    wyler:
    let me know if you are coming ok? :)


    zali:
    they sell qaf kat virgin megastores here (ironic eh?:P). yg pirated punya takde la (not that i was looking la... ehem)

    madi:

    i think you are too sophisticated for friends la madi.... NOT! wakkakaka ..just kidding :)

    maximus leo:
    hehehe..it's quite a pain. but there's something about being a malay.. we are expected to have the level of courtesy beyond international standards.. hehehe. but i'm ok with it as long as they know how to be good guests in return (which they did:))

    savante:
    yup doc... quite snappy lately la.. my senior actually asked me the other day "you seem to be quite irratable nowadays.. is something wrong?" and i nearly answered "i'm gay and i have no one". hehehe

    akihisa:
    don;t la blurt my real name.... mati i ... hehehe. eh where to download will and grace ek?

    By Blogger aiskrem_potong, at November 18, 2006 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home