aiskrempotong-ism

Saturday, April 29, 2006

MY INTERNET AFFAIRS

'you've got mail' is showing on the telly as i'm writing this. watching the movie reminds me of the days when i was first got acquainted to the modern day miracle that is the internet. it was 1997. having just sat for my spm, i was enjoying my 4-month break before i continued with my studies. all i could remember from that 4-month period was me using the internet. staying up chatting on ICQ, surfing (questionable) websites, being scolded by my mom for using the internet during daytime (we only had 1 telephone line but we have like 3 phones at home. so sometimes she'd pick up the phone and she'd hear the irritating buzzing sound and that's when i'd be dead) and being reprimanded by my dad for the sky-rocketing phone/ internet bills.

still, a lot good things came up from my internet affairs. for one, i got myself a religious-but-quite-cool pet-sister and we are still in touch even until now. it has been 9 years (wow). we meet 3 times. she got married last february (a few days after i left for dubai) and she is now pregnant. i also had an american internet friend for a while. i was a big fan of this r&b group called swv (if u listen to mix fm they still play their song once in a while). so i visited their website and dropped some comments in the guestbook. a few days after that, i received an email from this guy (who is even a bigger fan of swv). i still remember his name. it was alan watkins. and we used to e-mail each other everyday. i'd be checking for his email 2-3 times a day. it's not because i had a thing for him (he's a str8 african-american - nothing wrong with that, but i just like my men on the 'brighter' side), but it was very exciting to have a foreign friend. we sent each other parcels - he sent me photos that he took with swv, postcards of atlanta (where he lives) and some other souvenirs. he also got me swv's christmas cd (i used to play it during christmas ... heheh). he also sent me a videotape of his favourite tv show (some then-new series of frineds and an african-american sitcom). i, in return, sent him postcards of malaysia and a kru cd (they had an english cd back in 1998/1999 - and i think i don't have any other choice. i wanted to send a maria mariana vcd but i was afraid that he would stop talking to me after that.. eheh). we continued sending each other emails for about 2 years until we had an argument. it was dumb argument. he sent me a photo of his project (he was a design student) and asked me how i thought about it. it looked a bit childish - so that's what i told him (half-jokingly at least). but he took it rather badly and was infuriated. he said some nasty things (i think). so i stopped writing to him. after a few months, he wrote to me to apologised. but i did not reply to his email - until now. every once in a while, i thought of sending him an email (wishing that he hadn't changed his email yet) but everytime, i failed to realise the plan. it's quite sad. i really regret not replying to him when he wrote to me to apologise. sigh..

the internet had again significantly affected my life in 2005. that's when i came out from the closet (or actually ... maybe just open its doors to take a peek). that's when i was introduced to myspace, started discovering plu blogs, started my OWN blog. and i have met some very nice (and sometimes cute) cyberfriends along the way. i finally have friends that i can share my darkest secrets with. and i was able to express my 'real' attraction. i was dying to have a relationship that was based on mutual attraction and i finally got a taste of it. it was exciting. it was liberating. but it was short-lived. because now i'm here.

why did i chose to come here in the first place again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home