aiskrempotong-ism

Thursday, April 13, 2006

PERTURBED

my parents and my brother were in town last week for a visit. it was good. it was the least stressful week that i have spent in the company of my mom in a long time. maybe it was because she was nicer to me. maybe it's because my elder brother was not around to receive better treatment from her. maybe, i, after staying only two months in a foreign country, has grown more matured. or maybe i was just too preoccupied with work to even bother. but nonetheless, (nonetheless?!!), i was very glad that they came. at least there is someone that i can talk to about my experiences here (my dad), someone to iron my clothes properly and cook the food that i love (my mom... eheh) and someone to .... (emm...i don't quite know whether my younger brother's presence affected me in any way).

i have always enjoyed talking to my dad. he understands me. looking back, i realised how much he has influenced me. how much he has rubbed off on me. since as long as i can remember, he maintains a diary (provided by his company) where he would record all his daily expenses (having 7 children requires you to be smart with your finances). i've been doing the same thing since i was 14. i've also learned how to always think about the ones who are less fortunate than us before we start pitying ourselves. i've become the soft-spoken (although at times extremely sarcastic) person that i am because he is one too. even genetically, we have similarities. we are both lefthanders. we both have in-grown toenail problem (the same toenail even!). if there is something that hasn't pretty much rubbed off on me, it would be his religiousness. well.. i hope i'll get there someday eventually.

actually, i'm a bit worried. i'm worried because my dad's getting old. he's going to be 67 this year. and he doesn't seem to be that energetic anymore.

i'm worried AND afraid. i'm afraid if something happens, i won't be able to get there in time. suddenly working so far away from home seems like an utterly bad idea (actually i never thought that it was a good idea in the first place.. but it was my dad who wanted me to go..)

while sending off my family at the airport last weekend, i bumped into a fellow malaysian. we got to talking. he told me that he, together with his 9 staff were in dubai for an exhibition (they're from a gov't agency). they were supposed to go back in 2 days' time, but the morning earlier one of his staff got a call from home. her dad had passed away. so he was sending her off back to KL. i managed to catch a glimpse of the girl. her eyes were swollen from crying.

please god, don't let that happen to me.

4 Comments:

  • aiskrempotong

    my father passed away when I reached Brussels only 8 hrs in 2000 before that and did managed to talk to him two hours once I touched down. My flight departed , to attend the funeral the same time when my family buried him. Sad feeling is still there BUT I know he knows I did the best for him as his son...

    By Blogger Ross, at April 13, 2006 7:31 AM  

  • Ouch. Well, how long are you gonna be there anyway? You certainly don't intend to stay abroad indefinitely right?

    Paul

    By Blogger savante, at April 21, 2006 2:14 PM  

  • erm..

    dunno what to say. but it is the challenge for whom working out of the country...

    So always pray for the best and May God grant it..Insyaallah..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 28, 2006 1:26 PM  

  • ross:
    it breaks my heart to hear your story... i'm so sorry for your loss. i'm sure u have done your best for him and i'm sure he knows that too. take care bro!

    savante:
    oh don't worry paul. it's definitelyu not indefinitely. from the way things are at the moment, i'd consider myself a hero if a can survive one full year here!

    azlee:
    thanks bro.. i hope so too..

    By Blogger aiskrem_potong, at April 29, 2006 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home